Beautibi's Merry Lights + Happy Jingles!
Once Elizabeth booked her flight home to San Diego for the holidays, we knew our winter break would be filled with lots of K-beauty, blogging, shopping, and well, let’s face it: mostly K-beauty. This would be the first time we’d be meeting since Elizabeth left for Seattle in September, so naturally we were looking forward to the reunion and Jane was excited to have her skincare bestie back home (yes, we run our blog and Instagram from tail ends of the 5 freeway).
Jane was ecstatic when she read the email that Jen, of online Asian skincare boutique Beautibi, would be hosting a holiday event and new release party: Merry Lights + Happy Jingles, on Saturday, December 16th - the weekend after Elizabeth arrived back in San Diego. We missed out on Beautibi’s first Open House back in October and had some major FOMO from that event, so this was the perfect opportunity to attend as a pair of newly-minted millennial beauty bloggers (as annoying as that comes off, it’s true). We RSVP’d as soon as the invite was available on Facebook and eagerly awaited the day we would reunite, drive up to LA, bond over K-Beauty with other AB-obsessed folks, and even meet Jen of Beautibi!
The Merry Lights + Happy Jingles event was an open-house, new-release party, and holiday shindig all in one; and let us tell you - Jen really knows how to throw a party! Jen transformed the space into one that was welcoming and bright. There were so many cute holiday touches, such as a gift-wrapping station, and lovely hors d'oeuvres (potato balls and mini Sprinkles cupcakes ftw!) but it all came together so beautifully in that space.
Since it was our first event we were a bit overwhelmed with the number of products and folks inside upon entering. We recognized a few other AB instagrammers but were pretty timid about approaching anyone at first. Once we got into our groove, we were able to connect with some instagrammers (shout out to @midnyteblaque, @missladylisa21, @aserendipitousodyssey) and connected with more folks on IG after the event (Holland @thestraling and Theresa @layers_of_toner). Jen came over and chatted with us and she was super sweet! We’re glad we got to introduce ourselves and we're totally looking forward to attending more of her events. If anyone spots us at any future events please feel free to say hello! :)
To be honest, I really had no constraint when it came to buying and Elizabeth had to constantly keep me in check. When I wanted to scoop up duplicates of a product just bc I’m a hoarder, she’d make me name drop who the second, third, or even fourth product was for (>___< thanks girl, you did such a good job having my back).
To be fair, I was also purchasing a lot of Christmas gifts for friends and family. Here’s the damage:
- Simplistic Skin Begin Cleanser (x2): I’ve heard such amazing things about this cleanser from the Instagram community (namely, from Anna @lemondropglow). I had my heart set on purchasing this weeks before the event. From what I know, it’s a simple cleanser with nourishing, natural ingredients that provides a gentle, effective clean. Plus, major *heart eyes* for the sleek, minimal packaging! I bought the other bottle for my brother aka our graphic designer since I curated a 4-step skincare routine for him for Christmas!
- 23.5N Soothing + Brightening Travel Set: This was another preemptive purchase that I planned for ahead of time. I knew I wanted to try something from 23.5N and after talking to @layers_of_toner she convinced Elizabeth and I to try their gel masks. This set contained the rice soothing gel mask, and I love rice products, so I was sold.
- 23.5N Balancing Travel Set: I purchased this as a gift for my brother’s girlfriend. We talk a lot about skincare and she’s Taiwanese, so I thought I could introduce her to this Taiwanese brand!
- Half Artist Soaps You Are Special to Me Candy Soap Gift Set: Jen told us about one of her new curations which were these gorgeous soaps from Half Artist. We wanted to try a few of them so we decided on this 3-piece soap gift set, which we split amongst the two of us.
- Merry, Merry Mask Set for Dry/Dehydrated Skin: I'd never seen so many amazing masks all in one place! Instead of being at risk for going overboard, I picked up the Merry, Merry Mask Set to make things easier. I don’t typically have dry skin, but since it’s Winter I figured that any of these masks would help with the drier weather. Plus, this mask set contained another new curation - the Chaeyun614 Milk Thistle Aqua Ampoule Mask and a few others (i.e.: KinGirls, 107 ONEOSEVEN) that I’ve been wanting to try!
- 107 ONEOSEVEN Snow Mask: I decided to pick up a few of these masks because I’ve been so curious about it. It’s supposed to be great for brightening and I'm really intrigued by ONESEVEN's use of vinegar in its products. The mask also came in the Merry, Merry Mask set that I purchased, and thanks to Anita (@skintotheglow) I received a third quantity of this mask! I haven’t tried them yet but I’m sure I’ll love it!
- RE:FRESH Revitalizing and Soothing Natural Sheet Mask: This brand sells one thing and one thing only: this mask. I had to grab a few!
- Ladykin Snail Gel + Whitening Cream Travel Size (x2): I couldn’t resist these little snail guys and truthfully, I wanted to buy them all (ask Elizabeth). She convinced me to settle on 2 each. The purple snail contains the Affinitic Whitening Moisturizer (gel consistency) and the pink is the Affinitic Snail Cream (cream consistency). Part of me can’t wait to use them, but the other part really just wants to keep them forever. I think they’ll be great to hold creams and gels for travel as well!
We also received a goodie bag with our purchase! It included a full-sized 107 Oriental Herb Soothing Soap, along with more samples from 107 ONEOSEVEN, Hyggee, Simplistic, and of course - confetti! I’m so excited to try everything out!
Lastly, at checkout, Jen had us choose a raffle ticket at random which correlated to different boxes filled with adorably-wrapped gifts. This was such a nice surprise and really added a personal touch to the event. My gift ended up being the cutest red makeup bag from Thank You Farmer (shown below). Kudos to Jen for getting us all Christmas gifts ^___^ hehe.
Let me begin by saying that finding places to buy K-Beauty at in Seattle is hard af. You have to buy most of the stuff you want online (and either eat the cost of shipping or just end up buying more to qualify for free shipping) or drive around until you find a place. I did that once, I went to 5 different CVS and none of them carried a single product. Needless to say, I was so ready for this event. Jane hadn’t even finished telling me about the shop and I was already sitting in the car, ready to go.
First, I loved how Jen decorated the space. It was super relaxing, but still fun and you the holiday touches were just enough but not overwhelming. Second, it felt so nice being in the same space as other K-Beauty lovers. I recognized a few people that I’ve seen on Instagram, but was really intimated. Third, the selection that Jen had was amazing. I saw a ton of stuff I had never heard of before and some brands and items I had seen on Instagram.
Since Jane and I planned a K-Beauty haul day I didn’t want to go too crazy during this event because we were going to hit up like 4 different stores during the same day. Trust me, I did MAJOR damage at the Santa Anita mall after the event. However, I was pleased with the purchases I made. Here is everything I bought. I haven’t tried any of it yet, so reviews for that are pending but I will tell you why I bought each item.
- 23.5 N Soothing and Brightening Travel Set: I really wanted to try the Rice Brightening Gel Mask. @layers_of_toner highly recommended that mask while we were there and I’m a sucker for rice products so I couldn’t resist. I had also really wanted to try products from this brand because Jane had mentioned it to me.
- Merry, Merry Mask Set for Dry/Dehydrated Skin: This set had all of Beautibi’s mask favorites from this year, I just had to try this out. The variety in the set was awesome for such a great value ($26 for 7 masks). Since I’ve been experiencing drier than usual skin, this set was a no brainer for me.
- Ladykin Snail + Whitening Cream Travel Size: THE CUTE SNAIL PACKAGING. Enough said.
We really enjoyed the opportunity this event gave us to connect with others from the AB community. We highly recommend that you check one out the next time Jen hosts one! Thank you, Jen, for creating such a great event and we look forward to attending more in the future!
Jane & Elizabeth